Our Home Burned Down - April 19, 2021


It all started with a thorn bush.
We moved into the home in Orem in November, 2019.  Dallin and I had only been married since May, and our father-in-law Danny had decided to grant us with the best wedding gift we could ask for: a place to live.  Dallin is the second oldest of six on that side of the family, so Danny told us that this would be a sort of investment for any of the children who decide to attend college in Utah.  Dallin's grandfather had done the same for his children back in the day.  We lived on the main floor with three rooms and huge windows, and Dallin's brother Cooper lived in the basement.  His friend Reed had roomed with him over the summer, but when the fire happened, his friends Louis and Porter were living there. 
The thorn bush was a giant tangle of brambles with no aesthetic or nutritional value--no pretty flowers, no edible fruit--so Dallin and I decided to tear it out. It took weeks of hacking it down, and once we got it out we had to figure out what to do with it. We didn't have a truck to carry it away, and when I tried to throw some of the branches in the trash, it filled up the whole can without putting a dent in the pile of thorns and thistles.   So I had a better idea: burn it.  I ordered a small fire pit, and then once or twice a week I would cut the branches into little pieces, throw them in the pit and systematically burn them.  I listened to audiobooks to make the work less tedious.
Sunday, April 18.
It was a very tough fire to start. No matter how good of a "teepee" I built or how many pieces of kindling I lit in the fire pit, I could not get the fire to stay lit because of the wind. When I finally got the fire going, I burned branches from 6 PM to 8 PM, when I stopped feeding the flame.  I made sure no branches were sticking over the edge of the small pit, put the lid on, and left the fire to burn itself out.  I peeked out the window to periodically check on it and make sure it went out.  That night at 10, I heard the sprinklers go off.  I remember it specifically because the sprinklers were very loud, more so than usual.  In my mind, that meant the fire pit (which was situated in the grass) was getting doused. Looking back, I wonder if the loud sputtering was due to a problem with the sprinklers. They had been leaking between cycles, and maybe someone had touched the valve.  I don't know.  If the sprinklers were going properly, they would have soaked the ashes at 10 PM and at 6 AM.
Monday, April 19, 2 PM. 
I got home from the clinic in Salt Lake City following a speech therapy session. I had only a brief break between speech therapy and my online lecture on autism. I don't know why I decided that short break was the best time to dump the ashes in the outside garbage, and heaven knows how badly I wish I didn't. You see, the last time I had burned branches, I left the ashes in the pit for a couple weeks. The ashes became soggy and caused the brand new iron pit to rust.  I didn't want it to rust any more, so I decided to dump the ashes out now. I was wearing a beautiful red pinstriped jumper, and when I dumped the ashes in the trash, they puffed up in a cloud of smoke. I jumped back, very surprised, because I expected the ashes to be soggy from the sprinklers.  I just assumed the water evaporated quickly or something.  It was very windy and the ash was blowing around, so I went quickly back in the house (leaving the garbage lid open) and asked Dallin if my romper smelled like soot. It did. I changed into an oversized yellow horizontal striped tee with my too-long, blue-and-red vertical striped PJ pants.  I know, what a look.  I didn't care because my class was on Zoom and I was only visible on the camera from the chest up.  
3 PM.
Dallin had the window open briefly, and I had him close it because the smell of the dusty ash from the trash can was in the wind.  It was a warning sign I should have recognized for what it was.
I had my camera on at the beginning of class but eventually turned it off because I get really fidgety in my chair.  One of my classmates and I started a private DM in the class chat.  She had complimented me the week before because, during the class break, I had gotten completely ready for a photoshoot with another friend.  Now we were joking about how I had reverted from wearing false eyelashes and a beautiful dress to pajama pants. "At least you're wearing pants," she typed. "I'm not wearing any!" 
Boy am I glad I was wearing pants that day. 
4 PM.
Dallin was fiddling with his wedding ring and accidentally sent it flying beneath his desk.  He was in the middle of a work call and decided to find it later.  The call ended, and Dallin looked up to notice black smoke curling down in front of his window.  Is that coming from the roof? He ran out of the office and found the kitchen completely ablaze.  He ran back to where I was obliviously listening to my lecture and yelled, "GET OUT!"  I tore my earphones out, snatched up the cat who was obliviously chowing on his lunch in the hallway next to the office, and made a beeline for the front door. I didn't know why, although I think because of the ash smell earlier I suspected fire, and I swear I heard a fire alarm as I was crossing through the door. I didn't turn toward the kitchen and therefore didn't ever see it on fire. Dallin started following me out but pivoted back.  He pushed the power button on his computer, waited the whole damn ten seconds for it to properly power down, and carried it out of the house. I can't blame him too much for going back in the house to get his computer because it had his senior project on it, but seriously?! 
The side of house with the carport was engulfed in flames. I stared in horror, screaming.  A man who was out on the street for a jog was already on the phone with 911. Dallin sprinted toward our neighbor Evie's house, and I sprinted to Belva, dropping my cat Arlo in her grass.  I tried to open her door but then pounded on the door and rang the doorbell furiously. "The house is on fire!" I cried out when she opened up.  She thought I meant hers, but my assurance that it was only my house was hardly an assurance.  Monstrous winds pushed the flames across my house at a horrifying speed, and Dallin had needed to take the hose to douse the flames that had started up on Evie's fence. Once Belva was out, I sprinted barefoot and in my pajamas to the neighbors' house directly behind ours.  They have lots of little kids. As I headed toward their front door, they rolled down the window of their car and said, "We got out! The kids saw the fire from the backyard!" 
I remember thinking that the firefighters were taking forever to get there, although they actually got there quickly. Dallin and I cried out as we watched the house go up. "Are Louis and Porter home?" Dallin suddenly asked.  I gasped in realization.  "I don't know!" I screamed.  I didn't think so--the lights had been off when I went down to do my laundry after clinic, but how could I be certain? Neither would pick up his phone. Now, in the face of the inferno, we could not be heroic like in the movies and run into the burning house to save our friends (who might be there).  No. The only staircase to the basement was on the side of the house where the fire shot high up into the sky. Going in or getting out via the staircase was impossible. We would burn to death before we could even make it downstairs to see if anyone was home. Looking back, I should have run to the back of the house to see if I could search for them from the basement windows, but my mind was frantic and I was not thinking. Neighbors and firefighters alike asked if everyone was out of the house, and all we could say was a gut-wrenching "I don't know!" 
And then they answered the phone. They were together at work, safe. A weight lifted from our chests, and we felt we could breathe for the first time despite the black smoke in the air. If they had been trapped in that basement...heaven only knows I could not have lived with myself. 
Now all I could do was pull Arlo out from his hiding place under Belva's car and watch the complete destruction of my house, which due to the strong winds could not be impeded before the quick arrival of the firefighters. I remember it was raining lightly and wishing that would be enough to douse the fire.
I don't know at what point I made the connection between the ashes I had dumped in the trash can and the fire that now consumed my home. For a long time I thought perhaps it was an electrical issue.  Maybe it was denial; maybe it was a testament to my naivety, that it took so long to cross my mind that 18-hour-old ashes could reignite.

You never think it will happen to you, and when it does, it is the most surreal and crippling thing.  After knowing that my roommates were safe, I remember thinking on all the things that were likely turned to ash: my mission journals, my nativity collection from around the world, my Austrian dirndl, my artwork, the real pearl and real diamond earrings from the jewelry store my grandparents used to own. I had left my phone on the desk and therefore had to wait to use Dallin's phone to call anyone. When it was safe enough, the firefighters asked if there was anything we needed them to retrieve.  Dallin asked them to get our box of important documents such as passports and social security cards. Then they came out with every book in our office bookcase and almost every painting on our office wall.  I wept with disbelief. 
The next few hours are honestly a blur in my mind. The entire street of neighbors was crowded around us, offering us shoes and jackets since Dallin and I had fled barefoot. Before we knew it, boxes of donations were piled up in one of the neighbor's lawns: for Arlo cat food, a litter box, a cat carrier and bed; for us and the boys gift cards, cash, boxed and canned food, pots/pans/utensils, clothing, etc. Every time someone offered us new donations I began to cry. 
If you can describe a cat as being hysterical, then Arlo was hysterical.  Between seeing the house burn, smelling the awful black smoke, and being surrounded by noisy firetrucks and dozens of people, he was freaked out and trying so hard to get out of my arms.  I tried to put him in his donated bed and he bolted. For the next several hours the young women and primary girls tried searching for him.
I had left my phone on the desk, so Dallin and I took turns with his phone.  He was able to call Danny, who happened to be in South Jordan and was able to drive down.  I waited at least an hour before calling my sister or parents...what was I supposed to say? I would only worry them, and there was nothing they could do to save my house. But when I did call, my mom immediately called an old friend to get her on the first available flight, and my sister and cousins drove over.  I remember Paige and Nguyen crying when they saw us.  Nguyen hugged Dallin, asked if we were OK, and then asked if Dallin's computer was OK. "Yes, I got it out!" Dallin cried.  
Cooper was out of town with his fiance Kaeli, but her family showed up.  I cried when I told them what happened.  They offered us a place to stay until we got things figured out.
At one point I was shocked when the firefighters brought my phone out. It was black with soot but worked perfectly. I called my supervisor and one of my classmates to inform them of the situation and to ask them to get my class and clinic schedule postponed for the week. 

After a couple of hours, the firefighters finally allowed us to enter the house.  It happened because one of the firefighters said that there were fish swimming around in the tank, which I thought was a cruel joke. I had only just remembered that the fish tank was in the house and was devastated at the thought of them all burning alive or their tank exploding or what have it. He wasn't kidding.  I ran through the charred doorframe and saw a dozen fish and shrimp swimming at the surface.  Their lid had completely melted into the tank, the water was black, and giant chards of glass pierced up from the bottom.  Evie gave us a bucket filled with warm water and I took out as many as I could find alive with my bare hands.   The next morning, only three or four still lived, including the pregnant fish, so my sister took them to an animal sanctuary.
I remember feeling so relieved that everything wasn't completely reduced to dust that I was in a fairly pleasant mood as we walked around the house. My nativities had survived.  Some, though not all, of my souvenirs from my mission in Germany had survived.  My dirndl had been on a hanger in a Walmart bag.  Though the fire had completely discolored and ruined all the shirts hanging up next to it, the bag had melted off the hanger, causing the dirndl to fall to the ground and be protected from the worst of the smoke and heat.  My mission journals, though a mere few feet from the couch that had been reduced to a blackened frame, sat in the bookcase completely legible.  Yes, the leather bindings disintegrated at the touch, but the pages were safe.  Other books had pages scattered across the family room.  In the same room, the TV was melted beyond recognition. 
We walked around the block multiple times calling Arlo's name before he finally came out of hiding.  We brought him to stay at a friend's house for a few days. Arlo refused to eat, drink or go to the bathroom for days. I know the feeling. I couldn't sleep that first night, and I was angry at those who forced me to eat.  All I could do was sit in the bathroom crying and cursing myself for what I had done.  My chest ached from smoke inhalation. I was hysterical when I saw an advertisement from the local news app talking about a fire caused by "recreational fire ashes," because the news reported hadn't talked to me let alone asked if I consented to having this horrible tragedy that was my fault posted online. An equal invasion of privacy was finding out that some people went under to fence and broke into the ruins of the house a few weeks later. I know we abandoned everything, but it still just felt so dirty.
The next day, I went back with my mom, sister, Dallin and the boys to salvage as much as we could.  We were sunburned from so much time out in that yard working, but our neighbors were so kind and gave us food, waters, and a pop-up tent for shade.  To be honest it was a waste of time, if maybe it helped to give some sort of closure.  I took so many things out of the house only to throw them away that same week.  My clothes tore at the seam when touched, or had turned from green to pink or white to brown. Everything stank.  Everything in the kitchen was warped, shattered or melted, including hundreds of dollars' worth of cooking equipment. Anything that wasn't melted was ruined by smoke.  A family friend who experienced a house fire a while back told us that no amount of money spent on fire restoration could get the smell out. We spent hours digging around for our car keys as well as Cooper's, scared that we would try to dig through the rubble of the collapsed room and instead dig a hole into the fragile floor.  In the basement, the ceiling was weighed down by water and collapsed in several places.  We found Cooper's, but we had to get a new set of keys for our car before we could leave the state. Luckily, despite usually having a car in the driveway, all the cars were safe on the street. Danny's 1970s Canadian Bricklin had been sitting in the carport for a year, but out the blue the month before he had decided to drive it back to Arizona.
What we wanted to salvage, we left in Paige and Nguyen's garage before going to Arizona.
It's been two months, and I have nightmares frequently about burning houses down...my own house...the whole street... It's always my fault in the dream, like it was in real life. But yesterday I visited the house, now demolished, and found that the fire lilies had popped up.  They must have still been bulbs in the ground and had therefore survived.  I transplanted them from my old place to my new place, where I can see them out the window and wait for them to bloom. It's haunting in a way, but it's also beautiful.

































No comments:

Instagram