Culture Shock

Some funny things about coming home from a mission (to America especially):

  • *our egg yolks are more yellow rather than orange
  • *we have some many cars
  • *everything is huge (houses, dishwashers, roads, etc)
  • *everyone speaks English, even the little children and the elderly
  • *sarcasm kills me
  • *every time I take a picture I move my hair away from my left shoulder only to remember my name tag is no longer there
  • *trying to spend more than an hour at dinner (without even giving a spiritual thought) feels stressful 
  • *the food made me sick for weeks
  • *it took me a long time to not feel guilty about using social media
  • *I always wanna introduce myself as Sister Lundgreen

It's definitely quite the adjustment.  Although I was super happy the first night back, my stress levels sky rocketed after that.  My mother reports that I put up a wall, like I was watching everything from a distance, and that I was sad.  I think it's normal for an RM. 
I was blessed to be kept incredibly busy from the get-go.  Friday included waking up at 4 AM (jet lag; I entertained myself with yard work) followed by a trip to Sedona; Saturday we drove up to the lake where I learned to wake surf. 




 Then I went on a date with Dallin.  I was a jittery mess, but I was so happy to be back with him! We had dinner downtown and just walked around, talking and talking to make up for 2 years of each others' absence.

Sunday was my homecoming talk during which I shared experiences from my mission and talked about what it means to be a true Christian.  The boy band sang a gorgeous combination of Come Thou Fount and If You Could High to Kolob, and not gonna lie-- I had a slight breakdown after the bishop gave me my plaque.  Was it really all over?!

I donned my dirndl to my open house and was amazed by the huge support group that showed up.  It was so amazing seeing all these family and friends again.

No comments:

Instagram