The other day, everyone was out doing stuff except Sophie and I, so I decided to take her out for a little treat. We hopped in the car, her of course lugging around the iPad with her eyes glued to the screen as if it was in her DNA to build communities and herd sheep in Minecraft. "What kind of dessert do you want? You can have anything!" She chose a slushie, so we stopped at QT where she happily filled a cup with water-melon flavored ice. She tagged along close behind me as we went up to pay, then seemed embarrassed when I was short a quarter and had to go out to the car to fetch some more money. When we we got back in the car, she smiled at me, but this time she didn't play her video game.
"You know Sophie, I'm not gonna be able to be with you forever. That's why I wanna do fun stuff like this. In just a little more than a year I'm gonna go off to college!"
From the rearview mirror, I could see her eyes widen. "But Katie, I don't want you to go!"
"Baby, I can't stay here forever! I gotta make my own life!"
She sadly seemed to accept this, but when I mentioned that I hope to go to BYU Hawaii, her tone shifted to full-out panic. "No, Katie, you CAN'T! Katie, there's TSUNAMIS there! You could die!"
What the heck?! Since when did my baby sister know about stuff like this? But she kept going on, going into details about various natural disasters that occur in various areas of the world. "That's why you should stay in Arizona, cause we don't have any bad things happen here. Except when it rains and there's lightning. It just shouldn't rain so we can be safe."
I laughed softly. "Well, no, hun... We need rain so that the plants can grow."
That clicked for her and she seemed to acknowlege the naivete in the previous question. "Oh yeah. If it doesn't rain, then we'll all go extinct. Like woolly mammoths! Are mammoths elephants?"
She fired off questions, and in my shock I tried to answer. "Well, they're related. And sometimes we need things that might seem bad at first so we can survive. We don't like lightning, but we need rain."
"So do we need hurricanes or tornados to survive?"
"Well... no."
"It would be terrible if humans went extinct. Katie, I still want you to stay in our house even when you get married (how many days is it till you're getting married and having a baby Katie?) cause I'm gonna miss you too much!"
At some point in this conversation that continued on, my eyes blurred. Wow, is this crazy. She's growing up.
And that sneaky quote creeps into my head every time... *sniffle* My baby's all grown up and savin' China!
About Me
Katie Urness
SLP, Wife, and Mama
Welcome to Kate of the Desert! I've shared my life stories here since 2008. Here you may find the dramatic musings of an 11-year-old, the romanticized tales of a high schooler, the adventures of a young adult living in Hawaii and Europe, the journeys of marriage and motherhood, and all the ups and downs in between. Read More
Popular Posts
-
Nothing steals the breath quite like the vivacious colors of the American southwest: the rusty red rocks provide shocking contrast to ...
-
It all started with a thorn bush. We moved into the home in Orem in November, 2019. Dallin and I had only been married since May, and our f...
-
I love Vienna more than almost any city in this whole world. Schonbrunn Perhaps it's old sentiment; perhaps it's the g...
Search This Blog
Blog Archive
Recent Posts
-
With less than 2 months to go until baby brother arrives, I've been soaking in time with my firstborn. Beckham is 2, and being pregnant...
-
Although we have lived in Utah for 8 years, this was the first time we ever spent Christmas here. With my due date nearing, we decided to st...
-
By the end of pregnancy, it was just a waiting game wondering if baby was going to come closer to 37 weeks or 41. My nesting checklist was h...
-
Walker is nearly 5 months old, and after spending so long looking forward to January when I would finally get to meet him, I honestly can...

No comments:
Post a Comment