![]() |
| Photo creds: LDS Church News |
I'll admit. I can't think of a single person who in the process told me they were enjoying it. We had long practices every week {not to mention the 15 hour rehearsal the Saturday before} trying to learn folk dances and sign language and vocal parts. We had to wear uncomfortable clothing and stand for long periods of time. When the 15 hour practice came and we had to mash 15,000 teens and their leaders into Discovery Park with high security and no cell phones allowed {to avoid overloading the local cell towers}, it was, well, rather stressful. Don't forget the fact that all the feet dancing on the field caused a giant dusk cloud to form so badly that our leaders thought that we'd have to wear protective masks next week.
But when the day finally came, I was so glad I could be a part of it, and so was everyone I talked to.The night before, it rained, compacting the the dirt enough so we wouldn't have to worry about the dangers of dust. I was lucky to have almost all of my friends involved, and it was a greatly spiritual experience even leading up to it. As a last practice, everyone went through the performance earlier in the afternoon and, just in case, the cameraman recorded it. The real deal started at 7, which meant that everyone would meet up again at 6:30.
![]() |
| Photo creds: Gilbert Temple Cultural Celebration FB Page |
But all of a sudden, just as the car door with President Monson and Eyring opened, the rain stopped. And I don't mean fizzled out. I mean went from downpour to no rain in just a split second. It was crazy. Everyone cheered, and President Monson, our wonderful sweet prophet, waved backed to us with this giant smile before the program began. Funny thing was, after a few minutes of them getting safely situated beneath their dry ramada to watch, the rain started up again. Whattt?! But my region was to go first, and I couldn't stop grinning as we danced in our Isrealite costumes and veils and sang Children of Abraham. This was the moment I'd been waiting months for, and it was so sweet. I knew I was doing something great, and it was almost numbing as we ran off the field so the next group could perform a scene with Shadrach, Neshach and Abednego and Tongan fire-dancers could toss their still-flaming torches high. The various groups went on and off, and all too soon it was the last piece.
Every single one of us youth held up our white banners {which, like Captain Moroni, we had written our own inspirational messages on} to sing Army of Helaman / Sisters in Zion while all the men and women who have received their mission calls walked mightily with the flags of the worldwide countries they will soon leave to serve in. Chills raced down my spine in this sea of ensigns {though I won't lie and say some of the chills weren't from cold}, and I couldn't deny the pride and happiness of being there. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and even in this icy downpour that ended up getting sick, I was so joyful to remember everything I and my church stands for-- especially family. The temple standing gloriously within our view beamed with the brightness of eternal unity among brothers and sisters, husbands and wives.
The next morning, we watched a broadcast as our prophet sealed the cornerstone, and then the temple was dedicated. It was wonderful.




No comments:
Post a Comment