Butterfly Season


Summer is slipping through our fingers like melted ice cubes, and I am trying desperately to enjoy every last moment.  I spent my whole life claiming to be a winter girl, but when I experienced real winter in Germany I realized that I had been a foolish Arizonan for saying such.  Now, we seek out the random, beautiful nooks and crannies of Utah county to relish while everything is still green and warm. 

Dallin and I laughed our heads off till 2 AM before meeting up at 8 AM with Haley and McKay and Dallin's old companion Dallin. {He introduced himself with the same name as my boyfriend's only AFTER teasing me for sharing a name with my sister's best friend}. We drove to the American Fork region to Silver Flat Lake equestrian trail, where the meadows were buzzing with bees and butterflies and the boys could skip stones along the lake. 
After almost a year of wondering where Dallin's {boyfriend Dallin, that is}  picked up such bizarre habits during our two years of separation, I am finally learning that they all came from inside jokes of him and other elders in Illinois. Alas, only today did I figure out that his out-of-the-blue pterodactyl screeches originated from Dallin {his companion}.




"That's a nice boulder."





This week also included:
  • seeing my freshman-year best friend Lexi for the first time since I left Hawaii. We always had the deepest conversations on our beach walks back in the day, so I shouldn't been surprised that we got right down to the real talks even after such a long time apart. For the sake of old times, we went to the Oahu grill Seven Brothers... where I found my old friend Stuart working! The last time I went to Seven Brothers was literally with Stuart, following some body surfing at Pounder's with the bros.  
  • a rooftop concert on Center Street with Lindsey and her friend
  • swimming with Lindsey, Haley and McKay
  • a low-key picnic on boulders overlooking the valley with Katie and Rach 
  • three sessions of therapy, not including Rachel my future-psychologist-sister being such a good listener, bless her soul
  • my boss offering a raise if I come back in the fall. I started a new project in which I am organizing the historical sources of EuroDocs into new pages by topic, rather than only chronologically.  I have learned so much about European history this summer!  
  • I whipped out my high school Spanish vocab sheets.  I covered up the English and was able to translate a decent amount of Spanish verbs to German! Often times Parley and Dallin will chat with their Latin American friends, and although I can understand a minimal amount, I have basically zero speaking ability {a response will always come out in German}. So it's good to know that I still have Spanish floating around somewhere in my brain. 
  • I'm leaving in half an hour to meet some girls in the ward for a movie night.  I don't know them, but it will be fun to branch out!




No comments:

Instagram