Dallin had Wednesday night off, and I had Thursday the 4th off, which meant two things: datenight and staying up late! So we hopped on our longboards towards downtown, where we were surprised to find the Freedom Festival still happening. We shared a smoothie and almost bought Dallin a polished wood wedding ring! {I know, the first $300 wedding ring we bought online turned his finger green within an hour, and we returned it and haven't found a replacement.} I warned Dallin, "It's already midnight, and if we want to get up at 6 and go to the balloon festival, then you should go to bed with me."
"Nah, it's fine."
**Backstory: Just two days previously, my boss called me at 8:30 am to ask where I was because apparently I'd pushed my alarm off in my sleep, and since Dallin relies me to shake him awake every morning, we were both super late for work.**
So when my alarm went off at 6, I rolled over sleepily to wake up Dal and could not get him to rouse. Finally, I *kinda* woke him up and explained to him that he had to get up so we could go to the festival. I did not know but should have suspected that Dallin, as usual, had stayed up till 4 on his computer. He started sputtering some nonsense that translated roughly to "there's all this *fancy tech* to fill up the hot air balloons and they don't need our help for that so we don't need to go."
"Are you sleep talking?" I asked, confused and amused.
"Ugh, I'm awake! Why don't you understand me?" he said with his eyes still closed.
Later he admitted it was "drowsy talk," but I continued to annoy him until he actually sat up and stepped onto the carpet. After getting ready, we longboarded past the 5k runners to the field, where a huge crowd waited next to dozens of flat air balloons. Not long after we arrived at 7, they began to rise up in an array of colors. Though they couldn't lift off due to weather conditions, it was nevertheless an impressive show as these gigantic shapes billowed up above our heads. We stood a mere ten feet from one as hot air and fire blasted inside to fill it up.
After the balloons, we went back to sleep before meeting up with Felicia for lunch at Seven Brothers and then walking around BYU campus. Dallin had work, so after studying for the GRE for a few hours I met back up with Rach to make pizzas, watch 20 minutes worth of fireworks and then watch Spiderman!
On Friday was the day that Rachel has waited for since probably before I got home from my mission: the release of Stranger Things season 3. Well, not really-- it came out at 1 AM the night before the 4th, and she binged watched it all that night, but her watch party was on Friday and she fully intended on watching it all again. For months she had been talking about her theories of where the show was going to lead, following the actors on social media and even being the 7th person on Youtube to watch the final trailer. She spent hours searching for the best 80's Christmas lights to make the alphabet wall, spent $20 on two cans of the 1985 version of Coke, and made a demogorgon with her roommate. Using a Halloween cat skeleton, they filled out the body and created the "face" with tinfoil, paper macheed and painted it, and handmade hundreds of teeth with their covered with fake blood. I wasn't quite as ambitious; I made it 6 or 7 episodes in before I decided to go home for some water and sleep; after finished the season a few hours ago Dallin and I are now dying for season 4!







No comments:
Post a Comment