Pandemics Won't Stop Summer Lovin'



A couple days ago, Rachel and her BF Dick called me while I was walking the cat {yes, you read that correctly} and said, "Can you and Dallin come RIGHT NOW to help {cousin} Paige and Nguyen get engaged?" Of course, Dal and I dropped everything we were doing and raced over to help set up the last part of the scavenger hunt. Already Paige had found the hint on her bed telling her to go to Fizz, and then all the worker girls were clambering over each other through the window to give Paige the map of the BYU garden walk. While we waited, we set up candles.  I was to be the photographer, and the initial idea was for me to hide in a trash can.  We took the trash bin out of the metal can, and I did fit inside, but there were way too many spiders for my liking. So I instead hid behind the trash.

Paige initially got lost, but eventually Nguyen spotted her, and we all hid.  Then the romance happened!

This summer has been wild to say the least, but it's still been fun.  I work 4 days a week, and I constantly have to be on my feet to make sure my girls are staying safe. I also got coronavirus tested for work, which included a long skinny stick been shoved up my nasal cavity and stung like crazy. {But testing negative was such a good feeling!}
The other three days of the week, I have been able to join Dallin and some of our friends boating on Utah Lake, grilling in the backyard, trying {and failing} at gardening, and watching shows about vikings. Rachel and Dick have managed to convince me that board games such as Settlers of Catan and Monopoly can actually be fun. We also had Dallin's family in town for a week, and we got to watch Dallin's dad acting the role of a bad guy in a movie he co-created in the 90's about a pair of city boys who find themselves prisoners to white supremacist group.

SOME MORE FACTS ABOUT WHAT IT'S LIKE TO LIVE DURING A PANDEMIC:
  • all the movie theaters have been closed for months, which means that all the movie release dates have been postponed
  • all the hours of any public place {including Walmart, malls, libraries, etc.} have been reduced. Originally it was so that grocery stores could have time to restock during the initial buying panic, but now I don't know why.
  • more people wear masks in public than don't
  • multiple businesses have closed down permanently because of the financial burden of the pandemic
  • drinking fountains are all closed, and refills are forbidden at soda fountains
  • at restaurants, there is an empty table in between each one that can be seated. There are paper menus that are thrown away after use, which means that the number of items being served in severely limited.  Servers are not allowed to touch or take away any of your cups, plates, etc., so they don't get removed until after you leave.
  • at every grocery store, a clerk keeps track of the number of people entering and exiting the store at all times to ensure capacity isn't exceeded. 
  • church is now once a month, and there can be no more than 100 people with specific seating arrangements {I haven't been yet}.
OTHER HAPPENINGS OF JUNE, 2020
    • the worldwide efforts of the Black Lives Matter have been so beautiful and inspiring. Every day, people post about ways that we can physically contribute or otherwise examine ourselves for conscious or unconscious biases and prejudices.
    ...AAAAND THE MORE CHAOTIC HAPPENINGS OF JUNE, 2020
    • people are trying to defund the police, and other people want to abolish the police force altogether
    • some people created a fully-armed autonomous zone in the middle of Seattle
    • people are so upset at police that some people want to take the kid's show Paw Patrol off the air


    No comments:

    Instagram