When I was a student in Hawaii, I didn't have a car, and my new-found friends and I were so busy with school that it was extremely difficult to coordinate outings in the 7 months I was living there. There were, regrettably, a lot of things I missed out on. So when I came back with the family, I felt this intense need to make up for it by seeing as much as I could. Two of my younger siblings lived in Hawaii last year, and since they had a car they while they were there, they had a huge bucket list already compiled for me. One of their favorite hikes on Oahu was the "pink pillbox" hike, AKA the Mail Pillbox hike. I convinced Dallin and his dad to drive over in the lime green rental convertible, and we made our way up to a series of old bunkers artfully graffitied on the interior. From our vantage point, the cars looked like ants and the reefs could be seen beneath the surface of the sea. Just as we reached the last pillbox, it began to rain, and aware of treacherous drop on either side we carefully maneuvered back down to safety before the ground became too slick with mud.
No comments:
Post a Comment