Yesterday we went to the Ray's house to eat fajitas, swim, and watch movies. Tyler, Adam, and Eric were going to go down the (awesome) slide, and asked me to go down at the same time with them. Sure. I went down with Tyler behind me, Eric in front of me, and Adam in front of Eric. Splash! Naturally I held Eric above my head for a moment before pushing him towards the nearest step, him being six and probably not the world's greatest swimmer. I must have turned in the other direction to swim to the other step after watching Eric swim to the safety of the one I pushed him towards when I felt the right side of my face get hit hard by something. The first thing I noticed was a little piece that was now in my mouth... a part of my tooth, the one in the very front, on the bottom row, on the right. Oh no, oh no, oh no!!!! I immediately climbed out, spitting the tiny piece into my hand and holding it with horror. I will admit that tears immediately sprung to my eyes. Not from the pain (though it felt like it was swelling and the right side of my nose is still sore when I touch it) , but from the shock of being hit and the worry that my smile was ruined. It's almost as if I jinxed myself, because the night before I had been watching part of this one episode of I Survived with my cousin Kendall, and this one girl had chipped all of her front teeth when in a terrible fire (it is a horribly sad story, but I won't go into detail) and then an hour before I had noticed how our dog Bracken's teeth are completely warn down from chewing things and chattering them together (She was the mother of our amazing Maverick, who sadly got hip displasia from his dad. Her owner was going to retire her, but Mom said she would take her to try another litter with her. We didn't know that she had strange behavior, which was because of living in a run her whole life. Anyway... we were at the vet to see if she was pregnant. She would be due in a week, and we could just not tell. She is not. ) The other people said they could not tell, but, knowing my own mouth, could see it. It was not too bad, but I could see that it had been chipped worse on the back, and it was sensitive and kind of had to eat with and touch. Luckily my dad and Brian Ray co-own a dentil practice, and I was able to get it fixed the next day. They used the stuff that they use for fillings, so it looks like nothing happened. They also smoothed out my other teeth, since the bumpy part of my tooth got knocked off, and it would only be like that eventually. I can feel it when I put my tongue against it, which is weird. "At least you don't live 30 years ago. Then you'd have to have a gold or silver tooth!" my dad pointed out. "At least I don't live even before then, when they couldn't do anything!" I mostly felt bad for Rosie. She is the Ray's newest foster daughter, the one who jumped off the diving board and accidentally hit me. She seemed to feel really bad about it, so I explained to her in a positive, shrug-it-off type tone that it was not her fault and that and that I had not started crying from pain. Anyway... I am just glad that it wasn't any worse!
About Me
Katie Urness
SLP, Wife, and Mama
Welcome to Kate of the Desert! I've shared my life stories here since 2008. Here you may find the dramatic musings of an 11-year-old, the romanticized tales of a high schooler, the adventures of a young adult living in Hawaii and Europe, the journeys of marriage and motherhood, and all the ups and downs in between. Read More
Popular Posts
-
Nothing steals the breath quite like the vivacious colors of the American southwest: the rusty red rocks provide shocking contrast to ...
-
It all started with a thorn bush. We moved into the home in Orem in November, 2019. Dallin and I had only been married since May, and our f...
-
I love Vienna more than almost any city in this whole world. Schonbrunn Perhaps it's old sentiment; perhaps it's the g...
Search This Blog
Blog Archive
Recent Posts
-
With less than 2 months to go until baby brother arrives, I've been soaking in time with my firstborn. Beckham is 2, and being pregnant...
-
Although we have lived in Utah for 8 years, this was the first time we ever spent Christmas here. With my due date nearing, we decided to st...
-
By the end of pregnancy, it was just a waiting game wondering if baby was going to come closer to 37 weeks or 41. My nesting checklist was h...
-
Our 10-day trip to Europe with a very busy 15-month-old was a success. It wasn’t without hiccups, of course, but after around a dozen fligh...
No comments:
Post a Comment