The Work and the Glory

  As of the midnight last night, I finished reading the ninth and final book of Gerald N. Lund's, The Work and the Glory.  I am saddened by the fact that no more will I get to read about the lives of of the Steed family, whom I have come to know and love so much.  The series takes place over a period of twenty years, and while reading about all the marriages, births, baptisms, and even some deaths, I have almost felt like I am now a part of their family.
  More importantly, I have learned so much about the birth and early growth of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. For all my life I have heard about some things that happened, but never has it been so real to me, like something that really actually happened.  Every historical figure sprang to life- the Smiths, Brigham Young, Parley P. Pratt, Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, John Taylor, the Fieldings... and all of those other names.  I was fascinated by the faith of the people, that despite the crazy things about "Ole Joe Smith," they were able to join the church.  Not only that, but they endured to the end, being pushed from place to place, facing wild, hate-filled mobs, building and prospering in beautiful cities and being forced to leave them in just a few years....  It was crazy to see how ignorant the anti-Mormons were.  Really.  Only the generation or two before had fought the Revolutionary War so that everyone could have freedom, yet so many Mormon people were, completely robbed, hurt, martyred.  But they kept their faith.
  So it helped my own faith to read about all that happened.  I have nothing to complain about compared to what they faced, and I am so grateful for the example that they set.  I am so grateful that that fourteen-year-old boy knelt in the woods that day and asked just one, simple question.

No comments:

Instagram