Ode to the Sun



Fair sun proud in gleaming and glimmering
Golden fingertips tracing the world
Reflection upon azure iris shimmering
A smile, a twinkle, memories unfurled
How a smile beams, child of your beams so bright
As I stretch out my arms and sink into soil
Fluttering lashes taint my sight             
Your glory so blithe, so blissful, so bold
Not even I, in this basking, can behold
Yet never have my veins surged with such light.

I drift into sleep, grin poised on pink lips
Tangled in dreams of yellow-bathed flight
When I awaken, skin browned, skin warm
Tress ensnaring your blonde-rayed might
You have shied, in my unconsciousness
Slipped back behind gossiping white
And falling, slowly slipping, daytime’s apocalypse
My palm stretches to grasp at fading generosity
But your sunlight shatters, kaleidoscope dusk
Shoved down to the earth by obscurity brusque

Plunged now in darkness,
I stand, foot uncertain, head cocked, ear chief
Chained in the realm of dull moonlight’s caress
A legion of stars hardly light by your standard
Chills snag my skin, late luxury slandered
Long ago has that smile elapsed 
For wind, how it whispers, how it wrests, and weakens
I relent, sure stance crumpled,
Collapsed shoulders, neck bent, arms stiffly folded
And wonder in fear why your kingship has stumbled

One step, another, my eyes slowly adjust
But no glitter of stars can purge such deep cold
I yearn for yellow, heart tripping with lust
Yet the night plants her foot and cries darkness extolled
In the back of my mind my memories flicker
A candle in this cage
But dawn’s return dare I trust?
Surely there is hope, your memoirs plead
Too quiet as my knees buckle, and cold sobs engage
For I am young.  And I forget that though far, in you glorious morning—
I am freed.


 At least I hope.

No comments:

Instagram