Today's Veteran's Day called for a Tuesday off of school. So I got up early and went with Dallin, his dad, and his friend Michaela
out to the desert for some shooting-- if that doesn't seem like the All-American thing to do, I don't know what is.
I'd never shot anything other than a BB gun, but today I tested out a .22, .20, .40 Springfield and a 12 Gage shotgun. He taught me how to safely and properly hold the gun, and then we set up targets and shot away. So maybe I wasn't all that good, but I was very proud of myself for fairly quickly blowing up a Coke can.
I apparently seemed to have more difficult time flinging the clay pigeon disk out for someone else to shoot than actually shooting it. I was dying laughing because the disk would fly out of my hands the complete wrong direction and shatter. And yet only milliseconds after the picture below was shot, that clay pigeon exploded. After a few hours I'd had such a fun time with such a fun group of people!It's still Veteran's Day, though, great as it is to have a day off of school. So I must say thank you from the bottom of my heart to the brave men and women who risk their lives for the freedom of this nation. And I know that sounds cliche- but it's true. I wish I could have such an honorable quality. I have so much respect and gratitude and love for that.


No comments:
Post a Comment