The Catholics sure do know how to portray their love of religion through art. The beautiful depictions of such beloved stories was reverencing {we thought it was interested because a majority of the painters throughout the ages pictured Mary as a blonde}. But when I entered the Sistine Chapel, there was no words. Amazing, incredible, awe-inspiring-- what word could possibly be chosen to describe such talent. Every inch of space is utilized for meticulous detail depicting countless scenes. The Garden of Eden. The Crucifixion. Stories of saints at work and of soldiers at war. Not only that, but he even painted false columns and frames! All I could do was stare until my neck ached and my contacts dried out. {No pictures allowed.
Our last visit was to St. Peter's Basilica. The centuries-old temple was so ginormous as to make one feel completely insignificant. I can only imagine how difficult a feat it must have been to construct-- but it was worth it for a memoir to the great Apostle Peter. When we visited his tomb below, I couldn't help but tear up. How moving to realize that I was within feet of one the servants, of one of the personal friends of our very own Lord.

No comments:
Post a Comment