I've decided that if I had to live in any major U.S. city it would hands down be San Diego. Between the sparkling ocean, the coastal architecture and the chillaxed people, I found myself once again in love with the beautiful Pacific state and so enthused by a grand opening for our last family trip.
For the first day we met up with some of our church friends and laid on the beach before enjoying Mexican food and a drive around the dazzling city. Everything is so expensive, but the price of living must be so worth it when you get a view like that every day! Our first hotel was only bordered by land on side-- the rest overviewed the boat-speckled harbor.
We boogie boarded for a little while, but then Dallin and I took a barefoot walk towards the pier. We were gone longer than we realized-- enthralled in conversation, splashing icy water and crumbling sand on each other while we lay on the sun-soaked beach-- and when we finally returned, my sisters were freaking out. "Dad got stung by a stingray!" In a terrible stroke of bad luck, my dad had been in the water less than five minutes to help Eric surf on Cooper's board before he stepped on something squishy and felt a stab in his Achilles tendon.
Next stop, LA! The glamored up place everyone from everywhere knows about, I found it actually a bit overwhelming! I enjoyed driving through the palm-shaded avenues Hollywood and pointing out the expensive designs of celebrity homes, but I have to admit the kids were more excited by the koi and turtles in the fountain by the Beverly Hills Hotel.
Metropolitan Los Angeles is fast-paced and crowded and hot. My family was quick to point out favorite people on the Star Walk, and when exploring some shops Eric picked up a new-found obsession with sunglasses.
Although the ride was longer, we chose the scenic route of the PCH and boy did we never regret it. We hopped from seaside small town to cliff-dwelling forest to rolling hills, the variety of California never falling short of eye candy. In Santa Barbara, we walked along the giant pier and somehow managed to lose Rachel and Dad, who'd both left their cell phones in the camera bag.
A lifetime of never seeing any sand dollars was immediately made of for by the hundreds found on the beach right next to our first camping spot in the popup trailer.
We were stupid though. While we were busy enjoying ourselves on roller coasters we forgot that we'd left food with our stuff on the beach and came back to find a flock of very-happy seagulls.
When I was in fourth grade my family visited the Sequoias. I was thrilled to this time witness the magnificence of the Redwoods, which when driving along the Avenue of the Giants can make a person very humbled. I was awe-struck when a diagram next to a segment of a log showed that, as proved by hundreds of rings, this tree had sprouted at the time of the vikings.
Seriously though I want to live in Cali at least once so that when people ask me if I'm a CA girl {as they have before} I can just say yes.
No comments:
Post a Comment