Beckham the Frequent Flier

 Beckham took his first six flights between the end of December and the end of January. 

For his first trip, we took a train to a tram to a plane to get to Arizona. On the train, Beckham fell asleep and didn't make a peep, but ironically the older lady next to us was watching Call the Midwife at full volume on her phone, so all the other passengers got to hear crying babies, even if it wasn't mine.

 I was very nervous about that flight to Phoenix, especially when I learned that Frontier Airlines had separated me and Dallin.  I was in a middle seat alone with Beckham. I foolishly thought it would be easier not to take our stroller to Arizona and instead had my mom pick up a used one there...so Beckham got to be held the entire time we were in the airport and was unable to take a nap.  When we boarded, he was overtired and suddenly very hungry.  He guzzled his whole bottle while the plane drove around the tarmac, in spite of me trying to make it last until takeoff. Then he was still hungry but struggling to latch onto me with the nursing cover and my sweatshirt. He started screaming until I gave up on the nursing cover and was able to get him to latch and fall asleep as we ascended.  Luckily the gal next to me was my mom's age and was very enthusiastic about helping me, since she has to very-young grandbabies of her own.  Beckham slept most of the flight until descent started, and then he started crying again.  This time he was so upset he couldn't remember how to nurse  I kneaded my last frozen bag of milk in my hands until it was a slushy consistency, and the nice lady helped me pour it into the bottle.  Beckham didn't mind the slushy at all and was happy the rest of the time.  Needless to say, I was very happy when we landed.  There were lots of other kids and babies on the plane, so I felt better about that, but I assumed everyone could hear Beckham crying until Dallin said that he had no idea Beckham had been crying.  Either Beckham's cry wasn't loud enough to carry to Dallin's seat farther back, or Dallin just slept through it.


Over the next month we took 5 more flights between Utah, Arizona and Michigan. We learned a few things. I packed lots of extra milk and wore shirts that were easy to nurse in. I discovered airport nursing lounges.  For the first five out of six flights, Beckham become became upset on the plane during the boarding / taxiing process, so we tried to get him to sleep at the airport by putting his carseat cover over him so he wouldn't be overstimulated and overtired.  We realized it was worth it to either buy Dallin a seat next to me and Beckham, or to just buy Beckham his own seat.  The latter became the favorite option, and on flight #6 when it was just me and Beckham, the little guy slept in his carseat almost the entire flight with no problems!

Really the only other memorable moment was when he did a REALLY loud toot during the safety briefing, surprising the passengers around us.  Seeing me eye the bathroom, the flight attendants said I could get out of my seat to change his diaper only if I was very fast. It was the fastest diaper-changing session I've ever done, and I'm sure our fellow passengers were grateful we didn't have a stinky ascent. 


flying over Utah Lake


No comments:

Instagram