Model Seder


Last night, Rachel and I had the incredible opportunity to participate in a model seder, where we learned about the history and rituals of the Passover.  Over the space of three hours, we listened to songs and prayers in Hebrew and Aramaic and listened to the customs commemorating Israelites' miraculous exodus from Egypt. Ritual foods included unleavened bread hid in a napkin, bitter herbs {horseradish}, apple-raisin salad {historically replacing the lamb, which wasn't used followed the destruction of the temple}, and four timely cups of wine {grape juice}.  Of course, our Kosher meal was followed by a mint brownie because, as the host said, us Mormons don't need an excuse for chocolatey treats. 

 This year I have had the delight of taking New Testament from a passionate professor who has really helped open my eyes to both the deeper meanings and the cultural contexts of the Bible.  Especially following my mission, I am ever fascinated by worldwide religion, history, and traditions, and hope to find opportunities to learn more.





No comments:

Instagram