New Beginnings




This last week was Easter, in addition to the semester ending.  Spring has blossomed, and next week I will marry the love of my life. It's a time of new beginnings.  I am looking forward to
  • Moving into my new apartment tomorrow and taking the plane to beautiful, sunshiney Arizona in time celebrate my dad's fiftieth birthday.
  • The wedding, duh.
  • Waking up next to my best friend every single day and enjoying the daily aspects of living together, both good and bad.  We won't just see each other for an hour or two at 11 PM after volleyball practice. 
  • Of course, life will still be busy.  Now, we will get home from work and school and cook together, do homework together, go on dates together, be a couple.  I love his company, even during this current week when he's studying for finals and I'm running around like a madwoman trying to pack his, mine and Rachel's things into my living room {since Dallin's contract ended four days ago and me and Rach got permission to stay here until our new place opens up}.  But that's the thing.  True romance isn't about life always being romantic, but about about always feeling in love. 
  • Later, we will have a family, and it's almost surreal to think about me and my high school sweetheart becoming parents, developing our own traditions and rules as we raise our own kids. 
Dallin and I are very different.  To summarize, I am Type A and he is Type B.  He is a skilled volleyball player {UVU got 9th out of 250 teams at nationals last week} and an insanely intelligent computer guy.  I can do back-bends but can't hit a ball for the life of me; I love writing and painting and would consider myself "right-brained" if that was a real thing.  My mind is more wired for the COMD path. He isn't afraid to let loose and be himself, cracking up at his own jokes. His laid-back motto is "who carrrreeeessss," meanwhile I the perfectionist get stressed out of my ever-loving mind.
But in many ways we are very much the same.  We have similar palates.  We both appreciate gardens and artwork.  He loves reading fantasy and I love writing it. Both of us rarely sit down in front of the TV yet still enjoy the same movie genres, including more serious-themed war films--and gosh we both despise stupid-humor movies.  We have a similar outlook on politics and spending. We both think recycling is important and don't like collecting junk.  We will most definitely be singing around the apartment after we get married.
Beyond silly things like that, our moral compass is lined up to exactly the same degree.   Our life priorities match. He says that we both do something called "lucid living," where we are perceptive of everything and everyone around us.  We are both very sensitive towards other people's feelings and will usually bottle things up before finally saying something {which we are working on}.  We never raise our voices at each other; it's not in our nature.
We are both so excited to become parents one day and hope that we can raise our children in a way that both fosters their creativity and encourages them to want to be genuinely good, hardworking people.  Of course, that's easy coming from twenty-somethings who have never had kids themselves, but it is encouraging how well we agree on the way we want to set traditions and boundaries in our future home.








No comments:

Instagram