I don't know how on earth I can choose the best pictures, because Lundgreen child #4 is way too beautiful for real life. She was the closing speaker for the school's virtual graduation because she is the senior class president. Poor girl--not only did BYU-Hawaii go online for the fall, but she will also soon be sending her BF on a mission. Liv and Logan's story is almost comically similar to me and Dallin's: a Highland girl meets a Mountain View boy the second week of senior year after her friend situation goes kaputt. He is a volleyball player with a red truck, planning on serving a mission, while she has dreams of heading off to Oahu.
One of the best parts of living in a house is that it means lots of family visits. When we lived in tiny apartments with strict rules, family usually had to stay in hotels. Now, family has access to spare bedrooms and lots of extra couches and mattresses! My mom brought the kids up a month or two ago, the Urnesses came three weeks ago, and my parents came again two weeks ago.
1) when my siblings were in town, we hiked the beginning of the Timp trail up to the waterfall. There were still patches of snow, and I explained that it would be blooming and beautiful soon. "What?!" Eric said, flabbergasted. "I thought that anything that didn't bloom now would be turning brown from here on out!" "That's because you live in a desert. It's different here."
![]() |
| you may recognize the wreckage of the avalanche from my 2019 post. |
We also visited Sunni's animal therapy farm. Sunni and Jason are friends of ours we met in Boston 20 years ago. Back then, she hated animals, but now she has a farm with lots of rescued baby animals, including goats, pigs, sheep, cats, chickens, bunnies and ducks.
2) When the Urnesses were in town, we hiked Stuart falls. Grace, Dallin and I fell far behind as the girls collected wildflowers and Dallin wove flower crowns.
We also visited Danny's friend Rocco, who used to make movies with him. They were mission companions back in the day, and on their P-days they would make films. They grew up, and Danny became a producer while Rocco became a director, one of their films (the Flyboys) actually winning Sundance Film Festival. Rocco's entire house is decorated with movie posters, old-fashioned action figures, and a picture of him with the actors of Luke and Leia. We watched a movie in his movie room, as is tradition every time the Urnesses come to visit.
3) When my parents came in town, we went wedding dress shopping for Rachel. I asked if they had come in town so that Dick could ask Dad for Rachel's hand, but they said, "Nope, Dad just wanted to meet him." I knew that was a lie, because...
Update 3: Engagement
A few days later, Dick and Rachel sent us a video of them in a photo booth. Suddenly, Dick popped open a box with a sparkly ring, and Rachel's face broke out in a smile. She said yes!
Update 4: Funny/Awkward Moments with Uncle Steve
Before Paige and Nguyen or Rachel and Dick got engaged, the six of us went to Uncle Steve and Aunt Sandra's house for Sunday dinner. Steve said, "I have a joke. What has five limbs? A happy pitbull!"
The room was completely silent, no laughter. Dick leaned over and whispered, "Does he mean the pitbull's pecker?!" From anyone else, that would be the expected answer, but from Steve? Steve and Sandra are VERY prim and proper. Like, the most prudish people we know. Suddenly the whole room burst in uncomfortable laughter. Steve had ACTUALLY made that joke!
Dallin's started whispering to Dick. Paige begged him to tell everyone, so Dallin sighed and said, "There was a joke my stepbrother's grandpa always said. Why does a chicken not wear any underwear? Because his pecker is on his face!"
The twenty-somethings laughed, but Steve and Sandra were appalled. 15-year-old Eli didn't seem to know what to do, seated between his purse-lipped parents and his laughing cousins. "We don't make those kind of jokes," Steve said firmly.
Faces turned red. Steve had started it with the edgy jokes, had he not?! "You opened Pandora's box!" Paige said.
That night, I told my mom the weird story over the phone. "I can't believe that Steve would tell a joke like that!" But the phone was on speaker.
"No, no, no," my dad said. "That's not what he meant. He meant that the pitbull was happy because it ripped off somebody's arm!"
"Why on earth would we think of that?!" my mom and I asked.
"Well why else would he specify that it was a pitbull?"
I texted the real explanation of Steve's joke to the group chat. Paige answered, "My dad said the exact same thing as your dad! What is up with those Lundgreen men and their dad jokes?"
Update 5: I Might Have ADHD?
I absolutely do not believe in self-diagnosis. However, one of my patients asked me if I had ADHD, because I seem like I do. A lot of these kids have ADHD, so they know the symptoms when they see them. My need to get tested for ADHD was something my MTC district teased me about every single day. I never ended up getting tested, but my baby sister was diagnosed years ago, and my mom swears that my dad has it. So I took an online screener. Out of 18 questions, I checked off 17 in either home, work or social environment. Should I get tested? I don't know.







No comments:
Post a Comment