The Depth of Ocean Eyes


  As a writer, the characters I create may be but inklings of my imagination splashed out on a page.  But if I want to develop a realistic story {within the bounds of its own fiction}, I have to first develop realistic characters.  Characters with so much depth that the readers fall in love and forget while reading that really they are just typed-up bundles of words.  Like any real human, being they have a unique physical appearance sparked by one-of-a-kind DNA, a family situation, a social life to whatever extent, talents and quirks, a way of acting around other people that may or may not differ from the way they act alone, preferences to this color or that type of animal or this setting or that genre of movie, so on and so forth.  On my latest project I have tried really hard to make sure I know my characters back and forth just so I can understand how they will react when the conflict douses them in a whole new situation so far from their comfort zone.  On my so-far-twenty-eight-page Power Point I created for the development of the novel, fifteen pages are filled with information of about the characters, and six of those dive into full depth of the protagonist.  That's because these people need the chance to bloom.
  Throughout the process of breathing life into my characters, I have also learned how to take a deeper look at myself.  Not because they are a reflection of my own personality-- that would be unprofessional on my part as a novelist-- but because it has taught me to look beyond the outer shell of a person.  And yes, one can always take a deeper look inside themselves. 
  I have decided that their are two sides to me.
  One side has often been my shadow and has sometimes kept me shadowed from the time I was a child barely learning to speak.  The side that left me listening to conversations among friends but not inserting my opinion, not wanting to ask help from a teacher, terrified of my own tumbling and stunting skills, self conscious and worried about the teeniest-tiniest things after events with other people.  The shy, careful, quiet, reserved, submissive, introverted, self-disliking and only-self-trusting side.
  It doesn't necessarily always have to be a bad thing.  I am more inclined to think through and come up with every single possible outcome that could somehow come up were I to do something or another, which helps me avoid trouble. People usually also don't mind me cause I just keep my mouth shut in general.  They often also take me as sweet because of my desire to let other people do what they want first and then I'll follow suit.  
  At the same time, my bowing down to the will of some people can leave myself and others feeling jipped.  And being shy doesn't attract new friends.
   Then there's that other side to me.  The wild side.  The side that has me tossing my head back just long enough to say, "Catch me if you can!"       
This second side is striking contrast to the first.  It was while donning this side that I dived into the Amazon River knowing full well that I'd be sharing the water with millions of piranha and alligators, that while wearing extra makeup and big hair and large earrings I'll roll down the windows and dance to the pumped-up stereo of my car, that I've sung solo in front of hundreds of people, that I rocked my role as a cheerleader bringing up the spirits of the crowd {or at least my friends in the third row}.  This half leaves me yearning to leave home and explore the whole world, to be that chick everyone's jealous of cause she can make anything work for her, to have her own place in the world's memory when it's time to go.  
This also can be bad.  As one of those adolescents in junior high I was completely full of myself in some aspects. And at a choir concert on my sixteenth birthday I was so fearless that I pretty much made a fool of myself getting into an old forties song.  But as long as I don't get too ahead of myself, this side is the one that makes my experience as a teen so much more worth living.  
It's extremely bizarre to realize that technically I could be getting married in the next like four-and-a-half years.  And now that I've got a license, I date, I can get a job, I go grocery shopping, I've finished my years as a high school underclassmen...  Well, I've realized that the world appears different to me than it did not that long ago.  And more often the second side of me is starting to slip into the spotlight of my own personality. I love it.  Hopefully I can finally release some of the paranoid tendencies that have clung to me since my childhood and be myself-- the self that won't over-fret about judgement and danger.   
It's not like life's easy.  But as I think about my personality like I do when I'm trying to create a believable character, I try to improve myself.  And as the duo quarrels for the dominant part of who I am to be and I ponder how the roads been rollin' for me, I wonder...
Am I just growing up?

No comments:

Instagram