This Valentine's Day, I was ecstatic to go out with Dallin. I've always known this guy to be a charmer, but when he knocked on the door with a beautiful bouquet of roses my face melted into a giant smile with probably the most ridiculous of doe-eyes.
We doubled
with his stepbrother Parley. He wouldn't tell me where we were going,
only to wear athletic clothing. So I rolled down the passenger window
and just rolled with it while the music blasted from the stereo he built
into his truck-- though I figured out we were hiking pretty quickly
after we parked at the base of the Usury mountains.
It's
a lovely time to live in Arizona because our of early springs so
enthusiastic to shed the winter nip. We raced ahead of the other couple
and chitchatted whilst we hiked among the palo verde and rich
cacti {funny how even a desert can turn so green}, and behind us gravity
tugged the sun down in a sheet of orange and pink and blue.
We hadn't
yet reached the wind caves at the top, but dusk was soon to die out.
Dallin stopped and pulled a stereo out of his backpack. "I know one of
the things on your bucket-list is to slow dance in the sunset, so will
you dance with me?" I gasped. He turned on some lovely tunes and then
took my hand, dancing with me on a thin little trail overlooking the
glittering nighttime Phoenix. He's 6'2 and I'm not 5'1, by the way,
but we looked cute enough that another couple on the trail even stopped
to dance with us.
Once
it had gotten fairly dark, we climbed up the rest of the way where we
were joined by Parley and his date. "I'm just going to warn you, this
will probably be the cheesiest date you've ever been on," Dallin said.
"Are you kidding?" I exclaimed. "I dig cheesy." So he turned the
stereo back on and with the picnic pulled out some candles and some
champagne glasses for the Martinelli's. Ughhh it was too cute to handle-- as it states on my bio page, I'm way to much of a romanticist.Afterwards, we hiked back down with flashlights and then drove over to Riverview Park. Among other things, we messed around on the webs, made each other crazy dizzy in the spin machine {it was hilarious because we could not for the life of us stand straight}, and ran through water spouts {Parley got completely saturated after pretty much daring himself to jump over the giant fountain in the middle}. Later we dropped the other two off and then Dallin and I headed to my place to hold puppies and watch August Rush with my siblings.
Thank you Dallin for giving me the best Valentine's Day ever! Thank you for seeing through my shyness back in August, for finding me interesting enough to read my blog, for being patient enough to teach me how to longboard or do cool hiphop moves, for making me laugh and smile and feel at home and adventurous on so many occasions that it's hard for me to get out of the car or hang up the phone.
![]() |
| a bonus picture from the Masquerade Ball two weeks ago. |




No comments:
Post a Comment