Salzburg Thick with Music

 
Confession: I did not see The Sound of Music until the night before we went to Salzburg.  If you're appalled, don't worry, so were my parents... but if it makes you feel any better, I loved it.
Salzburg is charming through and through.  Perched on the river, embellished with fine architecture, and echoing the memory of beloved musicians, it surely competes as one of the most spectacular cities of Austria.  We spent a day-and-a-half exploring an endless number of gorgeous palaces, gardens and cathedrals.  When the cold became uncomfortable, we warmed up in the busy Christmas market, which sold everything from candied nuts to kaiserschmarrn.
 






a cliffside cave catacomb




my dad's favorite childhood memory was coming here in the summer when the place is rigged with trick fountains to squirt you when you're not expecting -- example, the chairs we were sitting on here.



Mozart's birthhouse

from the 16 Going on 17 scene





est. 803
Krampus - way worse than coal in your stocking. I know Germans who would scare their naughty 3-year-olds into obedience by just saying his name.




No comments:

Instagram