What better way to do a family roadtrip than to rent a 15-passenger van? Parking was a challenge, but it sure was memorable! We stayed in two rooms at the Westin, with floors slick with humidity and porches overlooking a glittery Atlantic. During the more relaxed days at Cancun, we drove around the glitzy resort and shopping areas and ordered cheap local dishes at the grocery store. A recent hurricane resulted in huge masses of pink seaweed washing up to shore, so we enjoyed the pool and free afternoon appetizers. At night, we snuggled up in bed and watched Happy Death Day two nights in a row.
Two hours out is the colorful city of Playa del Carmen. While my dad searched for the best scuba deals, baby sister Sophie and I left the other kids lounging in the van to explore the bustling center streets. Cunning salesmen called out in both Spanish and English; one man who saw me holding Sophie's hand called out, "Hey Mom!" {Ironically, only two months ago a girl at BYU told me I look 12.}.
I made an effort to avoid all English except when they were already conversing with my family in English. My Spanish is fairly horrendous, but one thing that I learned on my mission is to just TRY. So even though my sentences came out more in choppy words and phrases, I usually could get what I needed and people gave me smiles for the effort!
Other delicacies of the day included churros and Peruvian food.
![]() |
| Our animal-loving breakfast server who chatted with us every morning. |













No comments:
Post a Comment