Mexico 2018 - Isla Mujeres


Fun fact: although I served a German-speaking mission, I actually took 4.5 years of Spanish before.  That made the MTC a mildly confusing experience, with German and Spanish words getting jumbled up left and right.  Needless to say, I was excited to hear this romantic language again when my family took our first big trip together in 3 years. 

After an redeye flight, we had a chill afternoon in Cancun, and the next day we rose bright and early to catch the boat to Isla Mujeres. The island has about a five mile radius, so after talking to way too many golf-cart renters we finally found the place we were searching for... only to realize that the website advertised the prices falsely and we needed a second drivers license on hand to rent a second cart. Oh well! I argued to squeeze the whole family onto one, but within 100 meters the cops pulled behind us and I jumped off the back.  So we dropped off half the family at the beach while the other half rode around the gorgeous island.  When Olivia and Adam drove, they tried to race the other sassy go-carts, but as we zipped by with the wind in our hair I tried to just soak in the vivid colors around us.  Then we switched; the other family members checked out a turtle farm and we three bobbed in the still, warm waters for an hour. 




Slightly scary moment: I got locked into the ferry bathroom.  The lock must have been rusted because I couldn't get it to unlock or open, and I didn't have my phone. The restroom was on the outside of the ship so of course the sound of the rushing ocean water overpowered everything; I was banging on the door trying to open it with my full body {resulting in bruises on my hip}, meanwhile I wasn't sure anyone could hear me when I shouted "Ayudame!" I was worried my family would think that I had been kidnapped and would therefore leave the ship looking for me instead of looking for me aboard! LUCKILY a crew member got me out shortly before docking. If I understood the Spanish correctly, he said "This happens every time." 







For dinner we enjoyed delicious seafood and a smooth-voiced singer.  


No comments:

Instagram