
A childhood history of chronic ear infections meant that I didn't get much out of swim lessons. Still, being a terrible swimmer doesn't hinder my fascination with water, and I have found that being in or around water has an insanely therapeutic effect on me.
As we sat on the top deck of the ship, I found inspiration for my book as I scribbled in a little notebook. We rode to Cozumel, and then we boarded a tiny boat and chopped through the aquamarine waters for 45 minutes before reaching the place they call Cielo-- Heaven.
There we snorkled. I tried to capture in my mind the incredible imagery, to label every organism with the perfect adjective, yet there is no way to describe something truly so beautiful. The dancing schools of fish, their scales interlaced with endless spectra? The fields of coral, frozen like golden waves that dive down into mustard chasms? The nibbling critters with bulging eyes or the creeping eel slithering from the deep? No, words don't describe. In a place so out of this world, one can only see to believe.









No comments:
Post a Comment