Anxiously Engaged {EFY 2014}

  After every summer, half the kids in my school would come back sharing stories of this thing called EFY {Especially for Youth}.  I didn't really know what it was.  My parents like our family to bond, and over the summer that can include extensive vacations-- so I really never had the chance to sign up, even though most of my friends go every year.  I'm not complaining, since I wouldn't exchange those family trips for the world, but I figured summer was my last chance to go, so I might as well see what it's all about.

Wow.  Was it amazing or was it amazing?  EFY is a five-day camp for kids who basically want to become better people while hanging out with a bunch of other awesome teens, and for my session I stayed at BYU Provo.  The theme Anxiously Engaged suggests that we do everything with passion, with commitment, with appreciation, so that we can get more out of it and live a fuller life. I definitely learned a few things:
              Lets put it this way.  Can you imagine having the ultimate overlord of the universe notice or care about you?  Doesn't seem possible.  But this grand king of creation is God, and He loves you with a greater capacity than the human mind can even comprehend.  That's because He is your daddy and He made the effort to find the best time & place to put you on this little blue planet so that you could have the potential to do your part & live happily.
  So basically, this is an even stronger reason that we don't need to conform to society.  Yeah, that stuff may seem snazzy, but on your deathbed, whenever that may be, would you rather have that life-flashing moment be filled with trying to fit some ever-changing standard in the movies/magazines or with living to your full potential, no regrets, happy memories?  I'm realizing more and more that there are some things that bring short term pleasures and there are other things that bring life-lasting joy.  I know people who are into the exciting lifestyle shown become especially popular in this modern world, and I'm not condemning them at all!-- however, is the temporary thrill worth it when you might very easily prepone that death by aid AIDS or overdose or lung cancer?  I'd rather play it safe, and though it may not be as "cool," I think in the end I can be much happier with a life focused on family, God, and personal growth.  A quote in my English classroom said something neat for those who may be struggling with which side of the spectrum they want to choose: "I'd rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there's no God and die to find out there is."
  Perhaps that's the reason we turn old and grey and wrinkly in the end: so we don't focus our lives on some outer beauty that with whither away in a few year, but rather learn to magnify the best of our inner souls!

       After being at EFY, I'm even more excited for college.  I'm a natural introvert, but it was good being forced out of my shyness in order to meet new people, be independent, be myself.
  On Friday, we celebrated the 4th of July.  Everyone met up in the field behind the school for a last dance, and then the fireworks exploded and the celebration began!  We could even hear Carrie Underwood singing from the Stadium of Fire, and once more I was grateful for the "land of the free and the home of the brave" that allows me to worship freely and live as I choose to live.     

No comments:

Instagram