Have you ever thought about what you would do without the ability to read and write? Not only is so much of our culture founded off assumed literacy, but whether I'm at school, doing homework, or entertaining myself, my eyes are always flitting from left to right. As a fourth-grader my life plan was to be a famous author, so my little heart would've melted upon hearing my Critical Inquiry professor complimenting the writing skills in my essay. He commented that he was raising the bar for me because of it and hoping that I could find an outlet for such potential talent. Oh, I was grateful! and informed him that I am writing a book and am also an avid blogger. Without home responsibilities, I spend a lot of time evolving the ideas for my novel, and although it is so much harder than I ever anticipated, it's a work in progress and I love every minute of it.
On the subject of blogging, I am so happy that I decided to start this blog over seven years ago. Over the summer I dedicated weeks to organizing and condensing it all {the end of fifth grade up to high school graduation} into the physical format of a 400-large-paged-tightly-spaced book. Having the pleasure of flipping through almost a decade of precious memories that would've otherwise been lost is unbelievably satisfying, although I'm almost convinced that my dad loves it more than I do {church is just one example of the places he has brought it to show people}. These days, I keep a little booklet with me at all times to write other, more personal senior year/summer memories that I'd rather not share on the Internet. The hippocampus is quite an incredible little feature our brains have, and the way our memories can store so much information continues to marvel me. I'll have totally forgotten something and then randomly it will just resurface in my mind! If I'm counting correctly, Dallin asked me out for the first time a year ago this week, so there have been plenty of souvenirs my memory has yielded up. Seriously, to anyone at all reading this, I beg you to write down your memories like I do, no matter how insignificant they may seem at the time, because you'll only start to miss they when they fade away.
No comments:
Post a Comment