My body still rocks as if still being tossed by the great waves of the Atlantic. My hair, newly tinted a perfect gold, spills across my sun-kissed shoulders. My mind nearly sighs with relaxation as the treasures of summer dance around me.
Summer. Great a thing as school is, sometimes you just gotta have a break. I'll admit it. Finals, much as I don't exactly like them, went great. But once the last day of finals were over, we packed the car and got the heck out of Arizona.
I think I forgot that Arizona is in fact a desert. After a long flight and upon stepping out of the airport, I could've fainted with shock. North Carolina is gorgeous. The air is slightly heavy with humidity, but a breeze brushes coolness against your face. And holy cow, the greenery. Even in the city, forests of trees lean across the roads or shade the buildings. Their heavy branches seem to touch the sky.
For the first two days, we stayed with my Uncle Tommy and Aunt Mayme. They live in a little house (actually in South Carolina) with five adorable little kids between the ages of eight years and sixteen months. One of the days we went to the Confederate Museum. We also went to the zoo, which was pretty fun with all these kids fascinated by the animals.
Today we just left a giant beach house in North Carolina with three stories and several large rooms that made plenty of room for both my family and my Grandpa Paul and Nana Hanny. Behind us was a fantastic view of the Corrutuck sound, and the ocean was only on the other side of the fancy "neighborhood."
We were there because my aunt April's wedding was on Monday. She was married in a little church by a lighthouse. We rarely see her, but it was wonderful to be able to see her in her lovely white gown and share that happy moment with her. Following the wedding was a reception on the beach. You know, that was always one of my dreams- to let my bare feet be lapped by the waves as I clutched the skirt of my expensive gown.
The rest of the time we spent, basically, on the beach. I thought beach in San Clemente was great, but it was nothing compared to the one we were at. The water was perfect temperature with perfect rolling waves, and the sand was soft. Scattered everywhere were hundreds of beautiful seashells. Exhausting as it was, I loved to wade deep into the water with Rachel and Adam and be, well, beaten upon the by the waves. We spent lots of time either boogie boarding or body surfing. And yes, I am very much tanner and blonder now, thank you very much!
Then yesterday we were surprised when some guys swimming just a few feet away from us started shouting. We swam over to them, and they were holding a stingray! It was dead, but nevertheless neat (and a bit tainting to my trust of the beaches safety...). Among the other animals I (or at least other members of my family) saw were dolphins, pelicans, a dead jellyfish, and crabs- Oh, lot's of crabs! Last night we also went "crabbing." After the sun went down, we slipped on our flip-flops, grabbed some flashlights (AKA this cool app on my parents' new phones), and searched the beach for the little spider-like creatures. Almost everywhere you looked you could see them scurrying across the sand. BTW, I have officially nicknamed Adam the "Crab Whisperer."
Anyway, it's almost midnight. We just arrived at a hotel in Manassass/Bull Run. Tomorrow we will be visiting DC, and I know I will probably be needing my energy!
About Me
Katie Urness
SLP, Wife, and Mama
Welcome to Kate of the Desert! I've shared my life stories here since 2008. Here you may find the dramatic musings of an 11-year-old, the romanticized tales of a high schooler, the adventures of a young adult living in Hawaii and Europe, the journeys of marriage and motherhood, and all the ups and downs in between. Read More
Popular Posts
-
Nothing steals the breath quite like the vivacious colors of the American southwest: the rusty red rocks provide shocking contrast to ...
-
It all started with a thorn bush. We moved into the home in Orem in November, 2019. Dallin and I had only been married since May, and our f...
-
I love Vienna more than almost any city in this whole world. Schonbrunn Perhaps it's old sentiment; perhaps it's the g...
Search This Blog
Blog Archive
Recent Posts
-
With less than 2 months to go until baby brother arrives, I've been soaking in time with my firstborn. Beckham is 2, and being pregnant...
-
Although we have lived in Utah for 8 years, this was the first time we ever spent Christmas here. With my due date nearing, we decided to st...
-
By the end of pregnancy, it was just a waiting game wondering if baby was going to come closer to 37 weeks or 41. My nesting checklist was h...
-
Our 10-day trip to Europe with a very busy 15-month-old was a success. It wasn’t without hiccups, of course, but after around a dozen fligh...
No comments:
Post a Comment