Grace of Gratitute

Don't you just love speaking in front of hundreds of people.  Well, I don't.  But that didn't prevent me from having to give a talk in church yesterday, the topic being gratitude...Skipping introductions and fancy endings, I do hope that this is a good opinion of such a graceful word, gratitude...



   I love to travel, and one time my family went Escalante in Utah.  We camped, and one of the days the eight of us just went driving, no goal in mind.  But we reached the point where there was no paved road, phone service, or other people anywhere.  And it was spectacular.  I remember thinking that this place was like heaven.  Mountains loomed around us beneath an array of billowing clouds, a whole spectrum of earth tones as if God himself had knelt down to streak his paintbrush across the rock before splattering it with vegetation and literally unfolding the work into this sea of mountains so far out that they disappeared into mist.  
 Note- Photo doesn't even begin to capture the real view

 It was a really, really neat experience.  And while I was in the car, I really got to thinking.  This earth is beautiful.  God has created this realm for us that is absolutely stunning.  And not just that, but our Heavenly Father, for whatever reason, sent us to this exact time in this exact place with all the exact other circumstances.  And for what he has given me, I need to thank Him.

Knowing my own blood makes me grateful.   

 My great-great-great grandma was a Creek Indian born on the Trail of Tears as her parent’s tribe was forced to leave their homes and travel hundreds of miles because the U.S. government.  She later married a Frenchman whose family had crossed the Atlantic to escape the vicious revolution that did send one of my other ancestors to the guillotine.  On my dad’s side, people baptized into this church had to leave everything they had ever known to travel from Denmark to Utah to be with the Saints. 

Being appreciative of the sacrifices of my ancestors reminds me of what blessings I have in my life.  Here, I get to live in a free country with the gospel and a loving family, while those before me suffered so much.  And even though we all face difficulties, some unfortunately more than others, I personally want to take what I have and be the glass-is-half-full type of person.

If you think of the sacrifice Jesus made suffering the pains of every single person ever to take breath on the earth, it is incredible to think that He, the Perfect One, would even care.  Why would he bleed from every pore for some sinner like me?  Yet he did.  And though there is no way I can ever repay Him, the least I can do I be so, so grateful.

D&C 78:19 says “He who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious.”

Statistics show that people who express gratitude are more likely to sleep well at night, be more healthy, experience successful marriages, and be overall more happy.  So really, what’s the harm?  By being thankful, you are also exercising humility, becoming closer to Christ, the One you owe the most gratitude towards, as you leave behind a little pride to say “Thank you.”

Also remember that things can change in a split second.   You never know when things are gonna slip from your fingertips, so don’t take them for granted.
So now, I must say that I am grateful to be a member of the Church. I am grateful for the courage of those fight for freedom and goodness.  I am grateful for family and friends who so graciously support me.  I am grateful for a roof over my head, food to eat, an education.  And most of all, I am thankful for the One who created this beautiful earth and then died that we might be saved. 

No comments:

Instagram