Bloodmoon

Today I went on a run for the first time in much too long.  It's the first day of October and back home the beginning of my favorite time of the year.  After jogging a while, I stopped at the Point and just sat down by myself for the next twenty minutes, engulfed in darkness on the sea-cliff.  The waves were angry, the wind was fierce, and under a blanket of stars I had nothing but the noise of my own cluttered thoughts. I'm not sad, I mused, but I yearn for something my tongue has yet to discover a word for.
  On the very edge of the ebony horizon I noticed a sliver of orange light, like a ship ablaze on the sea.  Surprised, I realized as the clouds drifted away that it was a blood moon, huge and half-sinking in the water.  And then ever so slowly it began to float up into the heavens, emerging from the surf and adorning the clouds with light.  As it ascended, its fire died out and its color muted, but it's brightness did not fade.    
  If I could sprout wings, I would take off and glide through life with that same purpose and grace, illuminating the dark world around me.  But I am still just the same girl watching quietly from the edge of the cliff.  

No comments:

Instagram