The benefit of being in college is that, when the weekend comes, the school part is forgotten in the midst of unavoidable adventure. This weekend brought bright-light parties, spontaneous fully-clothed ocean night swims, Hot Rod, a soccer game, a concrete hideout and an abandoned house.
I love hiking, so I was of course psyched to join up with these fun people on the Sunset Pillbox hike. The stark contrast between wilderness in Arizona and Hawaii is almost shocking, and while I didn't have to worry about accidentally stumbling into a jumping cactus {it took so long to pull all the needles out of my leg the time that happened}, I did have to be cautious not to slip in the mud and tumble down the mountain due to the on-and-off rain. The autumn breeze was cool and if the jungle was an emerald, then the ocean was a sapphire, glittering endlessly beneath the sun. At the top of the trail lay the pillbox, which I'm told was built as a hideout location during WWII.
On our drive back, we noticed a little hut abandoned by the side of the road. Of course we had no other choice but to pull over and explore-- and quickly we realized that this was not some little architecture. This huge building had been completely devoured by the forest, its roof collapsed and its walls crumbled. Although its original purpose has long been forgotten, this concrete skeleton has been converted into a a joint junk yard and creative haven.
![]() |
| yes that is actually a piano on the ground |












2 comments:
I have to admit Katie that I am kinda a groupie of yours. I read your blog a lot but never leave a comment. I know I am a lame Aunt. I love seeing all of your adventures and your insights. Great pics of Hawaii. Love ya!
That means so much that you read it!! Love ya right back!
Post a Comment