Future's Come

*Since today is the day Marty McFly time-traveled from the 1980's with Doc and Jennifer, click here to see the time in 2008 when we got to sit in the actual time machine.*
    A few weeks ago I was playing truth or dare with a group of kids.  Since I'd rather have to answer the question "how many boys have you kissed" than lick the mud off the bottom of a palm tree, I just kept taking truth.  One round, though, I was a little startled by the question, "What is your biggest regret?"  I seriously had a hard time with that, not because I was too shy, but because I genuinely had a hard time thinking of something.  Almost all of the bad things in my life paved the way for something better!
     Had I a little more time to think, sure, there are probably a few wiser words I would give to younger myself could I travel back in time.  And one thing that I would certainly change is me waiting until my senior year of high school to take a serious art class.  Although I drew probably every day as a child, I could have SERIOUSLY done myself a favor had I learned a few basic techniques early on.  It only means that I have a lot of catching up to do now!
     For my drawing course, we've had to do five sketches every single week as well as several big projects.  I'll admit it's a huge pain, but I've sure learned a lot.  While drawing yesterday, I accidentally fell into a 90's music loop on YouTube and boy did I just feel like an itty bitty kid again or what!  I found songs I hadn't even realized I knew: Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer, It's My Life by No Doubt, Torn by Natalie Imbruglia, Hit Me Baby One More Time by Britney Spears, She's So High by Tal Bachman, and countless others.  It was strange to have flashbacks of sitting in a carseat back when I lived in Boston.
mine is the hand with the hummingbird
mine is the bottom fourth from the right
the center is an imaginative portrayal of my protagonist-- not sure how to use watercolor for realistic renderings, but it's sure fun to play with those colors! 
     On a different note {disclaimer: this is not me being depressed, just musing}, I have recently been wondering about what my calling in life is.  Do I even have one?  As the kind of person who seeks purpose in everything, it frightens me to think that there might not be something  special that makes my time important.  Yes, I enjoy writing and art and singing and acting and coming up with orchestral songs in my head and caring for animals and exploring both natural and man-made wonders, I have a good GPA and I have my own developed opinion... But what is my calling?  Are all of these things just fun little characteristics that will ultimately not matter, or will one of these carve the path of my future?  I guess that's why I get so excited when I daydream about being a mom someday-- the idea of being able to raise up a beautiful human being and teach them that they are important just gets me!

No comments:

Instagram