Kollege Kids


  A mere ten minutes after getting home from Thanksgiving dinner, I bumped into some friends who invited me to hop in the car on a journey without a destination.  Oh but how could I decline? We blasted the best of Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber and drove past twinkling Christmas lights and vacant restaurants until we reached a cheap bakery and of course the mall. Black Friday sales had appeared early, and although too poor to buy much ourselves, we enjoyed fingering through the lovely winter wear {much too warm for Hawaii}, melting our hearts in the pet store and pulling Tyler away from all the Star Wars merchandise.


  The next day I spent in bed with a book, until late that night when we drove to a random beach on the far side of the island for a camping trip rich with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and friends' laughter.   It took us till 1 AM to figure out how to put up the tent, and then we took a barefoot beach walk {and narrowly escaped an aggressive encounter with a homeless man and his dog}.  We exchanged stories and photos and talked about the future and were almost too awake at 4 AM to fall asleep.  


Tyler and his Jedi robes.


   After dropping Joseph and Morgan off the following morning, the other three of us drove up to the North shore for  relaxing few hours on the beach-- the highlight of which being the rare Hawaiian monk seal lazily napping on the sand.  Later, I had barely dipped into my shave ice when Courtney called asking if we could pick her up from the airport at 12:45 AM.
 So we gave ourselves an hour to clean up and then Noelle, Ellen, Tyler and I headed back out to the south side of the island where Honolulu bustled with holiday spirit.  With several hours to blow we just walked in circles beneath the looming skyscrapers and explored the rich-people shops and admired the wild costumes of the nearby anime convention and sat by the harbor to talk about deep subjects.  At one point we stopped at Jack in the Box {I just couldn't resist the peppermint Oreo shake} and starting talking about the Myers-Brigg {AKA the 16-personality} test.  I took it back in high school and discovered I am an INFJ, which is so rare that these people only make up 1% of the world.  I had yet to say this out loud before Ellen commented, "Yeah I took it in high school and found out that I am an INFJ."  WAIT WHAT.  So then Noelle and Tyler took it.... and my jaw about hit the floor when Noelle found out she too was a rare INFJ and Tyler was an ENTP, supposedly the kind of personality INFJs get along best with.  How crazy is that?!


  Finally it was time to pick up Courtney and take the long drive back home {Tyler admitted that after this weekend he had memorized the way around the island}.  We were all exhausted, running on so little sleep {and poor Noelle was giving a talk the next morning at 8} but boy is that a sign of an amazing Thanksgiving break.

...and a bonus photo from Joseph's facebook:

No comments:

Instagram