*This post is under Monday the twenty-first, but really it's for Sunday and I'm just writing it after midnight. Hee hee.
I've felt like someone's snuck up on me and chucked a thousand pounds of weight on my shoulders. I have been so stressed out as I try to study for finals, finish my online class, etc. And the worst part is, despite this being the time that I need it most, my attention span has been zapped to ashes.
Today Dad left on a business trip in Utah. It turned out that the Camac's dad was gone for work too, so our families decided to hang out. At first I wondered if that would be bad due to my tight schedule, but when they got there I realized it was the best decision we could have made. No, the weight was not lifted from my shoulders, but this was basically like someone pumpin' up Eye of the Tiger on the stereo, max volume.
After a yummy dinner of lasagna {proudly produced from the freezer} with salad, garlic bread, and lemonade, Kenzie told us that there was supposed to be a solar eclipse today and tomorrow. I was so excited to hear that; I've been dying to see one since the third grade when I first learned about them. Sure enough, we walked outside, and the lighting was totally off. It wasn't like I imagined, with the day as dark as night, but this abnormal tint to the evening was enough for me. And even just glancing at the sun for a moment {sorry doc}, it was obvious the the moon was sitting smack dab in front of our big ball of gas.
We didn't want to go completely blind by comtinuing to look at the sun straight on, so we stacked five or six pairs of sunglasses as a way to see clearly. Amazingly, it basically looked like a bright, giant circle with a smaller circular chunk hole-punched out of it.
Another method of seeing the phenomena was by taking two pieces of paper, poking a tiny hole in one, and then lining them up so that the reflection of the sun goes through the hole onto the other paper. Do you see in the middle? I apologize that these pictures aren't really showing what we could see.
Once the sun was hidden behind some houses, we just screwed around. The camera probably never felt so loved as now when everyone snapped shots of each other, and then we started to play games such as Balderdash, Scattegories, the random name game, and the hilarious game where you can't show your teeth and have to hold your lip over them completely while you talk. The boys made a movie, so we also got to realize just how funny of brothers we have. And of course, there's the chatting that happens between really wilded-up moms and older daughters... We probably told each other too many embarassing stories.
Oh, and we played with their little kitten. He was so cute and playful.Speaking of summer... less than four days to go!

No comments:
Post a Comment