Alright, go ahead and point your fingers. I'm guilty.
It's just that, no matter what I do, I always crave the pleasure in beautifying. I mean, not like I go overboard or anything, but I simply can't resist the fun in tweaking my blog design, snuggling a flower in Sophie's hair, or carefully applying mascara. It's just... fun!
But we all know there's a line. A line that should never be crossed, but far too often is. Photoshop, for example, is great for creating a fabulous blog title banner, yet magazines are smothered in pictures of women who now appear to have no such thing as pores or healthy weight.
Even before that line, there is another line, one that is much more subtle. What is that line? It's hard to to define. But for me, I think it is when you start masking something that is simply a part of you. Makeup, at a minimal amount, is fine- you are emphasizing certain features with just a touch of this, a brush of that. I like to use a soft blend of copper and light browns along with a thin streak of liner and some mascara to bring out the blue in my eyes, and a dab of mineral blush along my cheekbones and light pink lipstick match my skin tone. This is not hiding-it's highlighting! Now if your face decides to be cruel and sprout a pimple, then feel free to rub on some cover-up. But when you get to the point that you're practically caking your face in foundation with a visible line between where you did and didn't apply the colored paste... Yeah, that's not so hot. Another thing is hair. Everyone longs for the lovely locks of Hollywood, but often women fail to see the beauty in their own. Now I am definitely not saying that dying your hair is bad, because that is definitely not the case. I know a lot of girls who look absolutely gorgeous after their trip to the salon.
But for me, I don't wanna have to depend on a hair stylist. Having just been to a foreign country where everyone's hair was black,
it was really nice to answer "yes" when the girls would ask me in awe,
"Is that your natural color?" I don't wanna have to spend so much money every month, or worry about roots. The other problem is the chemicals. Who knows what's in that stuff? Anyway, my dear sister Rachel still believes I'm vain {though at the same time that chica loathes the absolutely-beautiful blond streaks that naturally tint her brunette hair}, but I like to try with different approaches. A lot of times people struggle between whether to call my hair blond or brown. It's a mix, and depending on the season it may or may not have highlights or be darker or whatever. Of course I don't want my hair to be dull, but instead of cloaking it with dye, I try out ways to naturally and healthily bring out the highlights that would be there if I were in the sun more often. In the past I have tried laying outside with olive oil and lemon juice. Today I experimented by mixing cinnamon, honey, and conditioner and soaking it in my hair for four hours in a shower cap. Neither looked very attractive while I was doing it, but after I rinsed it out, I noticed a change. Maybe just slight. But that new color was ME!
Another component girls like for prettifying is heat. I like it too: curling irons, straightening irons, triple-barrels, blow-dryers... But with summer here and considering the fact that I've felt almost completely secluded from the world {except in Peru where often there was just no electricity available}, I've figured I might as well repay my hair for being my hair. So far this entire summer I have only heated hair twice, and the last time was in the beginning of June. And how glossy and soft my hair has become! However, when I suggest this greatness to friends, they just scoff and say, "Not everyone's hair is naturally straight!" Oh, sorry guys. But even when I don't feel like wearing my hair straight, I can braid it to make it look wavy, wear curlers, or simply pull it up. It's worth it!
Anyhoo.... I guess it's just the whole shabbang with everything. I keep trying to eat healthier because cheer camp starts tomorrow and as a flyer I don't want to, well, be fat. I keep trying to change up my style of makeup, and blondify my hair, and add variety to my wardrobe. I guess we all do that kind of stuff. But the important thing is to stay true to yourself and never lose sight of who you are inside.
About Me
Katie Urness
SLP, Wife, and Mama
Welcome to Kate of the Desert! I've shared my life stories here since 2008. Here you may find the dramatic musings of an 11-year-old, the romanticized tales of a high schooler, the adventures of a young adult living in Hawaii and Europe, the journeys of marriage and motherhood, and all the ups and downs in between. Read More
Popular Posts
-
Nothing steals the breath quite like the vivacious colors of the American southwest: the rusty red rocks provide shocking contrast to ...
-
It all started with a thorn bush. We moved into the home in Orem in November, 2019. Dallin and I had only been married since May, and our f...
-
I love Vienna more than almost any city in this whole world. Schonbrunn Perhaps it's old sentiment; perhaps it's the g...
Search This Blog
Blog Archive
-
▼
2012
(161)
-
▼
July
(23)
- All-Natural Vanilla Yogurt Recipe
- If the Shoe Fits
- To Be a Pioneer
- Modeling According to a Six-Year-Old
- Shattered Hearts & Fallen Tears
- Definition of I
- The Luminous {Girls Camp 2012}
- Machu Picchu Magic
- Cusco
- The Golden Countryside
- Paracas Paradise
- Lima
- The Mighty Jungle
- Xanthochroi
- Stand Tall or Hard Fall
- Bella {Part 2}
- Bella
- AKA Gullible
- Writing Woes
- Why I ❤ My Siblings
- 100% U.S.A.
- West Side Story
- Passenger of Flight
-
▼
July
(23)
Recent Posts
-
With less than 2 months to go until baby brother arrives, I've been soaking in time with my firstborn. Beckham is 2, and being pregnant...
-
Although we have lived in Utah for 8 years, this was the first time we ever spent Christmas here. With my due date nearing, we decided to st...
-
Our 10-day trip to Europe with a very busy 15-month-old was a success. It wasn’t without hiccups, of course, but after around a dozen fligh...
-
Tell Sophie about the magazines, give her some makeup and clothing to either wear or slather on Rachel, and put her in front of the camer...

1 comment:
Love the picture of you guys with Kendall and Paige! :)
Post a Comment