The Luminous {Girls Camp 2012}

  LDS Girls Camp 2012.  The theme this year was Shine : to find the Light, to see the Light, to be the Light.  Living in a world where everything is wild and changing, it is important to know who you are and to always strive to do your best.
  This year I was a 4th year.  That meant that I got to be adventurous.  While the girls at Main Camp sang silly songs and learned about the camping safety with tight schedules and no shorts allowed, we got to be crazy {or cray-cray, which is apparently the new way of saying it}.
  After early rising, we all met up at the stake center and dropped off our stuff in the trailor before me, Mom, Kenzie, Chelsea, Haley, Paige, Riley, and Emily hopped into the Big Green Machine, or what- after a few hours of driving with Chips Ahoy and some tunes to belt out {80's, Wicked, Christmas, Taylor Swift...}- became known as the Party Vehicle.  We arrived at camp and set up our bungalows.   
  In the afternoon we got to put on our swimsuits and  hiked down to a little stream, where we cooled off in the clear water and caught crawdads. It was really funny to hear girls screaming like crazy over bugs and such, at least it was to me after my trip to the jungle.
As if the stream weren't pretty enough and the evening games fun enough, the next day we went to the actual river.  Not only were the waters sparkling like emeralds, but the mountain forests stretched up to brush the vast blue sky with its tufts of clouds, and little flowers sprinkled the ground with other bright colors.  So we canoed and swam and had a plain good time. Even if at one point our idea to scare some of the girls with a gardener snake went wrong when one of the girls, who wanted to hold it, got bit.

  Paige and Haley.  What fabulous chicas!
  I doubt anyone had as much of a thrill as those who cliff-jumped.  Chelsea and I did it twice, and the adrenaline definitely kicked in as gravity hurled us down.
  And then you got Kenzie and Peri.  Oh what fun it is to hang out with them!
  I felt like 4th year camp was basically my opportunity to be... psycho.  While we balanced it out with sweet lessons, the BoM challenge, and as a whole doing 100 acts of service a day, for the rest of the time we got to just be wild.  We played Mafia, watched the sun peek up from behind the mountain, told stories, went zip-lining upside down, and practically did Parkour with our hiking {just kidding, the tennis shoes I wore from sixth grade PE wouldn't have allowed that}.  For the water fight, we streaked our cheeks with paint and rode into the main camp blasting Battlefield and shooting water guns like madwomen.  One night Chelsea and I crawled into our sleeping bags and slept beneath the twinkling stars with the howling coyotes.  I even received the award for Master Adventurer!  And I'm pretty sure I ate more junk food in the past three days than I normally eat in three weeks {it didn't help that Mom was one of the cooks}, so hopefully I won't get fat despite all the hiking and then get back to cheer and be hated by the bases who have to lift me.
  But, even when you consider all the other little pleasures, the best part by far of the whole experience was testimony meeting.  As always, our ward circled up after the sun had gone down, concealing our tears in the dark as we shared our feelings and showed our faith.  The Spirit was so strong, and even after it was over we could not stop hugging each other like the sisters that we might as well be.
  It was amazing.
  So will you be a Light?  Will you Shine?

No comments:

Instagram